VPN question

• Ok I am still working all of this out so sorry if I ask an obvious question. If using this app can i use a VPN still? or is that just redundant?

• No u cannot use 2 vpns at the same time one will cancel the other vpn out ive tried lots of vpns and block this is the one vpn tht works best

• Block this, is not a VPN in the traditional sense. It only uses the local vpn on the device to access data stream and filter out ads, malware, etc., by DNS. The full explanation is on the home page,
    ( https://block-this.com ) but here is an excerpt:

But why the VPN then?

The only problem with this approach is, that for Android there are strict rules about who and how DNS can be changed. Normally changing the DNS directly needs ROOT access (i.e. your android device to be rooted). In order to work around this issue, "Block This" for Android creates, what I call a local VPN (Virtual Private Network) and all of your apps/browser traffic is routed through this VPN. This VPN is carefully configured to only modify the DNS settings of your network, while preserving your internet speed and not sending out any traffic to external VPN servers.

Look up just what exactly a VPN does, and you will see some difference. Block this, will not hide your browsing history, or any other data requests from your data provider, but a regular VPN will mask your IP address. Here is a partial description:

Provide privacy by hiding your internet activity from your ISP (and government)
    Allow you to evade censorship (by school, work, your ISP, or government)
    Allow you to “geo-spoof” your location in order to access services unfairly denied to you based on your geographical location (or when you are on holiday)
    Protect you against hackers when using a public WiFi hotspot
    Allow you to P2P download in safety.

• Here is a very good site about VPN's that I forgot to include with the second quote.

https://www.bestvpn.com/vpns-beginners-need-know/

And scroll down a ways & you'll find info on "smart DNS " which is what Block This pretty much does.

• So if you want to use an actual VPN for streaming services (such as IPVanish or Windscribe), this application would prevent you from doing that, correct?

• Admin

@mletto157 You wouldn't be able to use 2 VPN's at the same time, you will have to choose one over the other or switch between the two.

• From what I can see block this will not work unless your vpn is actaviated.
    Your home page says “start and feel the freedom”. I take this to mean that I have to activate the start button to turn it on. When I do your vpn automatically starts. Therefore I cannot use IPVanish along with it. Correct?

• @wbigl correct, the VPN protocols on Android can only be used by one app at a time. Block-This and whatever VPN you have, perform different tasks, and can only access the Android protocols one at a time. Read up on the difference's. Block-this is not a traditional VPN, but filters request made by the device. A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and the provides server, thus giving some privacy that others, like your internet service provider, can't see what connections you are requesting. Also, it protects against any Wi-Fi attacks. That's where you need a VPN the most. I run a blocker in Android most of the time, and only use the VPN services for things I want protected from snoopers.

• Hi all,

Anyone else looking to run Block-this and a VPN at the same time, I would suggest using Orbot (Tor) with the browser Orfox. This will come the closest to using both a global blocker and a VPN or proxy. You can have all your device traffic routed through Tor and still block advertisers,trackers,etc. Otherwise, you are limited by Android operating systems.